First class medicine in a private setting
Privatklinik am Lindberg was officially inaugurated in Winterthur on 5 November 1906. The wish for a private hospital in Winterthur had emerged at the end of the 19th century because in those days there were just two private rooms with two beds each in Winterthur Cantonal Hospital and no women’s clinic. In 1900 prominent figures from Winterthur formed an Initiative Committee which set about its work in a generous and altruistic spirit.
Ceremonial opening of Privatklinik am Lindberg after construction work lasting for a good two years. The building account totalling CHF 355,000.- in all with an overrun of CHF 80,000.- on the construction costs was closed in June of the following year.
Just four years after the inauguration a west wing was added to create more space for the kitchen and laundry. Further rooms were also fitted out for patients.
A first previously used x-ray machine was acquired and installed in Privatklinik am Lindberg. On 27 April the operators decided to build a home for the nursing sisters. The nurses were already able to move into the “Tannegg” House in February 1928.
As the word “Private” caused some confusion among the authorities and in wider circles – the hospital was a non-profit foundation – the general meeting held on 9 June decided to change the name to Krankenhaus am Lindberg.
The statutory requirement for the 48 hour week to be introduced at all hospitals by the year 1965 made an extension of the nurses’ home necessary. Conversion and extension work began in the spring of 1957.
Further reductions of working hours and nurses’ specialisation created a need for further staff accommodation. The “Buchegg” nurses’ home with 24 single and 3 apartment rooms together with ancillary facilities was inaugurated. A second operating theatre, a second delivery room together with an office for the matron, nurse stations and lower ground floor areas were constructed. In the same year the Winterthur industrialist Dr h.c. Heinrich Wachter endowed the Dr Heinrich Wachter Foundation for the Krankenhaus am Lindberg with a capital of one million swiss francs.
1992 and 1996
In these years old structures were replaced by contemporary new buildings and further extended.
Another construction phase was now required. The main entrance was extensively refurbished and restyled. In addition, the “Quelle Event Room” was built on the second lower ground floor. Today it still serves as a staff restaurant and a space for public and professional presentations.
Following several changes of ownership, Swiss Medical Network acquired the Krankenhaus am Lindberg and has been running it ever since as Privatklinik Lindberg.
The spaces which were beginning to show their age after more than 25 years underwent extensive refurbishment and restyling. A public a-la-carte restaurant was opened and the choice of wards extended by the addition of several suites. On 31 October 2015, the brand new Privatklinik Lindberg was presented to the public at an open day.
Privatklinik Lindberg celebrates its 110th anniversary. A stronger focus on medical specializations surrounding the musculoskeletal system points the way into the future.
Privatklinik Lindberg continues so engage in sponsorings of local events such as the Classic Openair and Winterthurer Frauenlauf. New doctors settle down in the clinic and cause and upswing in the clinic with extensive services for the patients.
With the opening of a dialysis department Privatklinik Lindberg exends it's offerings. As sponsor it supports the EHC Winterthur.